Open House discussion for the B.Tech aspirants - 2020 Day 1
BME @ IITH is starting a unique Bachelor of Technnology program in Biomedical Engineering (BTech-BME), the first ever in the country. The program aims to introduce young & enthusiastic minds to the exciting field of healthcare and become torchbearers & enablers of accessible, quality healthcare for all. We hope to fashion entrepreneurs in healthcare and health-tech innovators for leading technology companies.
Along with the core areas such as medical instrumentation and systems biology, our program offers several elective baskets to specialize in cutting edge areas such as healthcare data analytics, 3D bio-printing, medical optics & Imaging, nanomedicine, neurotechnology, biomechanics, neuromorphic engineering, medical data modeling & simulation.
○ The BTech program in Biomedical Engineering is an interdisciplinary engineering undergraduate program offered by the Dept. of Biomedical engineering at IIT Hyderabad that focuses on training engineers on the state-of-the-art healthcare technologies. The focus of the program is to train the engineers in designing medical devices, biomedical imaging, natural and artificial intelligence, biomechanics, biomaterials through a diverse range of courses in different engineering areas relevant for biomedical applications.
While most similarly termed programs are typically biology with a flavour of engineering, we’ve inverted this paradigm to focus on technology and engineering with a flavour of medicine and biology. The program is designed on four verticals:
(i) Bio-imaging and bio-sensors
(ii) Biomaterials and nanomedicine
(iii) Natural and artificial intelligence
Each student will undergo a training in basic biomedical engineering in the first two years followed by a specialization in one of these areas.
2. What are the prospects of the BTech program in Biomedical Engineering ?
○ The B.Tech program in BME at IITH is carefully designed to train and enable students to apply their knowledge to most healthcare, and technology related industries. The courses within this program are crafted with an emphasis on developing engineering skills with relevant biology/clinical concepts. Some of the exciting areas include AI with neuroscience, circuits and instrumentation with medical devices, computational mechanics with implants, materials and 3D printing with nanomedicine and tissue engineering. Uniqueness of our program lies in innovation & product development training with direct application in the R&D industry and academia.The program has been designed after several consultations with the healthcare industry in India and we have drawn lessons from our successful Masters’ program in Biomedical engineering.
○ Students can take admission to the B.Tech program in BME through the JEE Advanced examination conducted by IITs. This examination covers topics on Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. Biology at 10+2 level is NOT a required prerequisite.
2. Do I need to have any background in Biology to opt for this program ?
○ Even if the students did not take one of the subject biology during their intermediate level, he/she should be willing to learn that at the B.Tech level. However, that is not required during the admission process. The understanding of the biology is required for the program will be covered by the relevant courses.
○ Similar to other B.Tech programs in IIT hyderabad, the students joining the B.Tech program in BME will have to undergo common mathematics, physics, and chemistry courses during their first two semesters. This will be followed by the basic courses specialized for the BME program covering basic topics on instrumentation, control theory, signal processing, bio-imaging, nano-technology, neuroscience, and biomechanics. During the 3rd and 4th years, each student will undergo specialized training in one of the specialized areas of their choice from the four verticals mentioned above. Specialization in these areas will cover advanced theoretical courses along with their respective experiments in the laboratories.
2. How are the prospects of research studies after this program?
○ The BME program trains students on four specializations. In the advanced courses of these specialized areas students are also expected to undertake research and development activities. This training will make them ready for not only the biomedical industry but also higher studies including research.
Important information for B.Tech-BME admissions
Following are the Course Curriculum and Description of the B.Tech BME Course